Hiring Full-Time Imam at the Ottawa Mosque
Submission date is extended to July 30th, 2019.
The Ottawa Muslim Association (OMA), the first and oldest Muslim Organization in the National Capital Region (NCR) invites applications in confidence from suitably qualified candidates for the vacant position of a full-time Imam. The position is to be filled immediately.
- A University Degree in Islamic studies-related field; a Masters or PhD would be an asset
- A second degree in Public Relations, Counselling or Education would also be an asset
- Ijaza in Quran (Hafidh), Hadeeth and Islamic sciences
- Comprehensive knowledge of Shariah – including Quran, Hadith, Fiqh and Seerah of the Prophet (peace be upon him) – and the ability to teach and apply it in the Canadian context
- Fluency in both English and Arabic, French is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Engaging with and reaching out to the entire community, especially youth, sisters and seniors.
- Excellent ability to convey the message of the Quran including teaching its recitation, understanding and implementation
- Strong ability to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds in a multi-Fiqh and multi-ethnic environment
- Charismatic and inspirational speaker
- Demonstrates experience in conflict prevention, management and resolution in family and youth issues
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as imam
- Imam experience in a North American context is a must
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- Lead daily prayers, Jumua, Janazah and Eid prayers.
- Develop and execute various religious-centered programs at the Mosque.
- Represent the Ottawa Mosque in the Imam Council of Ottawa-Gatineau, the Canadian Council of Imams (CCI), and the Assembly of Muslim Jurists of America (AMJA)
- Serve as an advisor and educator to the OMA schools
- Raise Awareness to the general public about Islam and Muslims through open house events, workshops, school tours, and public lectures; and lead by example
- Collaborate with the Capital Region Interfaith Council, and other interfaith organizations
- Lead the Muslim community to participate in community events that promote the greater good in the National Capital Region
- Preside over marriages and divorces
- Assist the funeral committee with all funeral related services (from hospital to cemetery)
- Provide spiritual counselling to the community
Salary and Benefits: OMA offers an attractive competitive salary and benefits package.
Please send your resume in confidence via email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications as outlined above
- Media links including social media accounts, authored material, and sample recordings of lectures and Quran recitation
The last day for submissions is extended to JULY 30, 2019. References will be requested.